Anne Glennie: 'A journey to the Dark Side: from Phonics Phobic to Phonics Fanatic'

This is the hub of the site and the place to post queries, start discussions and join in the conversation!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Anne Glennie: 'A journey to the Dark Side: from Phonics Phobic to Phonics Fanatic'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Anne Glennie writes about her incredible personal and professional journey in the NATE 'Primary Matters' magazine from 'phonics phobic' to 'phonics fanatic' - a journey that many have travelled but, sadly, others have yet to travel:

http://www.thelearningzoo.co.uk/wp-cont ... GLENIE.pdf

Hopefully this excellent article will persuade many others to get on board!
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Anne Glennie: 'A journey to the Dark Side: from Phonics Phobic to Phonics Fanatic'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

On the same theme of a personal journey leading to a change of mind and understanding, see this post:

https://johnkennyweb.wordpress.com/2017 ... g-my-mind/
Changing My Mind

Posted on June 18, 2017 by johnkenny1

Looking back on my initial teacher education, there is no doubt it was of the progressive kind. The driving force behind the course was that a fresh approach to education was needed. This was not made explicit, of course, but the course materials dripped of progressive ideology. Here are some examples:
  • *Kevin Robinson’s viral video How Schools Kill Creativity featured on the professional practice unit reading list
    *My science unit promoted learning through discovery using the 5E method, which has found popularity in the Primary Connections series
    *My English unit for early reading stressed the need for teaching through genuine literary experiences, which is in opposition to research on synthetic phonics.
    *Learning styles were a key feature in the text assigned to me for Creative Arts.
    *Game theory was the approach promoted in maths for teaching K-2
This lead me to find answers. There were many stepping stones in between, but the quake moment came after discovering a paper written by Jennifer Buckingham, Kevin Wheldall and Robyn Wheldall titled Why Jaydon Can’t Read: The triumph of ideology over evidence in teaching reading. It was extremely tough reading, gut-wrenching. Finally, I realised my beliefs did not stand up to the rigour of scientific evidence. It tipped me over the edge. I decided to change my mind.
Do read the whole post - it isn't long but it's important!