New Zealand: 'We are barely functioning, literally'

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

New Zealand: 'We are barely functioning, literally'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

This piece in the Dominion Post reminded me of a talk I gave in West Berkshire, England, many years ago - for local parents. Having introduced the notion of the Alphabetic Code (better shown tangibly via an Alphabetic Code Chart) and the phonics skills for reading and spelling - and so on - the principal of the local further education college (who had attended through general interest) announced to the room that he had really appreciated the talk and that, were people aware, when students entered his college, they had to undergo a term (a third of an academic year) for their own basic literacy before they were able to access the content of the college courses.

Later, when I gave free talks to a local college for people studying child care courses, to raise awareness about phonics provision in Reception and infant classes, the lecturers there said that the information and content I was telling the students about would actually benefit many of the students attending their college for their personal understanding and levels of basic literacy.

This is truly unacceptable after years in primary and secondary education.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/1 ... app-iPhone
We are barely functioning, literally

Rob Mitchell
But the bad news runs between the lines of those bald findings. It shows that close to half of those surveyed make it only to level two in a scale that runs to five. That means they can read things like road signs and simple text, enough to get by. However, they will struggle with anything more complex.
I believe this is an important article to read - indeed, the underlying personal stories of so many who can barely function are tragic.