US: Susan Pimentel - 'Expanding the important national conversation about reading'

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

US: Susan Pimentel - 'Expanding the important national conversation about reading'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Susan Pimentel writes about other features of literacy education via the Thomas Fordham site:

https://edexcellence.net/articles/expan ... ut-reading
Expanding the national conversation about reading

By Susan Pimentel

Recently I contributed a piece to Education Week, “Why Doesn't Every Teacher Know the Research on Reading Instruction?” My intention was to support and even broaden the important national conversation about reading instruction that was spawned by Emily Hanford’s “Hard Words” documentary. This conversation has continued to have a great deal of fuel, as local papers have begun writing about shortcomings in reading instruction and Hanford brought the conversation to the editorial page of the New York Times.

In my piece, I called attention to two other areas of reading research that deserve attention: the importance of content knowledge to reading comprehension and the importance of getting all kids to read texts on their grade level. I asserted that we are in the midst of a renaissance in the curriculum space that could have a profound impact on the results being experienced in classrooms.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: US: Susan Pimentel - 'Expanding the important national conversation about reading'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Here is a link to Emily Hanford's work on reading:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1103