Aus: 'Kids in the crossfire....it affects every minute of their day' - important and excellent article

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Aus: 'Kids in the crossfire....it affects every minute of their day' - important and excellent article

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I'm flagging this article up in various places - on this forum as the article is written for 'The Sydney Morning Herald' (Australia) - and I'm adding it to the IFERI General Forum because the issues addressed are pertinent beyond Australia.

I'm also adding it to the infamous 'phonics debate' thread as the debate is referenced in the article:
Kids in the crossfire: ‘It’s not just that they can’t read - it affects every minute of their day'

Teaching literacy is a new frontier in the culture wars, with students who struggle with this most vital life skill the primary casualties.

By Jordan Baker

5th March 2021
https://www.smh.com.au/national/kids-in ... 56kf6.html

Although this article is rather long, it's really good and essential reading to see how the educational and political authorities are steeped in the reading debate - not just the teachers - but often those in political and educational authority or either promoting progress or impeding it.

You try to hold people in educational and political authority to account on this topic of reading instruction!!! It's nigh on impossible.

Without a doubt the education children receive continues to be no better than 'chance'.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Aus: 'Kids in the crossfire....it affects every minute of their day' - important and excellent article

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

And here is the thread of the infamous phonics debate held in Australia - which truly illustrates the extraordinary contrast in 'professional understanding' of how best to teach reading:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1044