England: blog posting about teachers need for training in SSP principles

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

England: blog posting about teachers need for training in SSP principles

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

http://edukate123.com/2016/04/05/dont-l ... nderstood/
DON’T LET ME BE MISUNDERSTOOD

Not so long ago, a Reading Recovery Teacher asked me, in all seriousness, if we used real stories “you know, like ‘Handa’s Surprise’ and ‘The Gruffalo’,” with our reception children. I was taken aback. How could it be possible that a perfectly sane and experienced teacher, would consider that I would deny our youngest and most vulnerable, children beautiful literature and enjoyment?

“Oh, that’s good!” (please excuse incorrect use of exclamation mark) she said, when I nodded in silent, stunned agreement and gathered my breath.”Its just that I know you’re big on phonics and I was very worried you just had them barking at print!” she continued. She was worried? I was terrified. Terrified that systematic synthetic phonics could be so impossibly misunderstood and misrepresented in this enlightened age.
In England, 'forced academisation' is a very hot topic, the blog posting ends thus:
Nick Gibb, Nicky Morgan it is this confusion you should be worried about. Forced Academisation will do nothing to solve the issue of children struggling with reading, as poor SSP practices and Reading Recovery reliance, are as common in academies as LA controlled schools . What is needed is SSP investment in all primary teachers, so that teachers can teach children to learn to read effectively and use it to enhance enjoyment and comprehension, not merely encouraging schools and academies to buy-in programmes without investing in the necessary training.
This takes us right back to the thrust of this IFERI post here:
If Bill Gates (USA) and Nick Gibb (England) really want to help education
http://www.iferi.org/iferi_forum/viewto ... ?f=2&t=548