England: Chief Inspector Amanda Spielman's speech at the Festival of Education

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

England: Chief Inspector Amanda Spielman's speech at the Festival of Education

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Many people in England were optimistic about the direction of travel for the inspectorate, Ofsted, when Amanda Spielman was appointed Chief Inspector.
Amanda Spielman's speech at the Festival of Education

Ofsted's Chief Inspector talks about a review of the curriculum and the importance of recognising leadership challenges and valuing management.
https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -education
Enriching the fabric of education

Thank you for inviting me here today. It may surprise you to know that, despite numerous invitations from the likes of Leeds, Reading and Glastonbury, this is in fact the only festival I have spoken at since taking up post at Ofsted.

And I’m delighted to be here. I have been to Wellington many times, to listen as well as to speak, so I can say from experience just how useful it is to hear from the engaged and eclectic group of people that this festival brings together. So, if you don’t get chance to ask a question in this session, do come and talk to me or to one of my colleagues – Sean Harford and Luke Tryl – who are here from Ofsted as well.

Having space for reflection is important in any job. As you wind up this term and prepare for next year, most of you will be taking time to think about how this year has gone, with all its challenges. And this may be a good time for me to contribute to your thoughts about the future.

Now, perhaps this future isn’t quite the one we thought it was going to be just a few weeks ago. The changed landscape at Westminster has clearly affected the direction of education policy already. This, in turn, has a bearing on all our work. But my hope is that Ofsted, as an independent inspectorate and regulator, can be a source of strength and stability for the years ahead.

Looking back to my first speech as Chief Inspector, not so long ago, I said that I would use Ofsted’s power responsibly and intelligently, not just in my own personal approach, but in the whole way Ofsted inspects and regulates.

This means, among other things, inspecting and reporting on the things that really matter for good education. It means using the evidence we gather to inform and advise and combining the feedback we get from inspection with evaluation of our frameworks to improve what we do. At all times, I want Ofsted to be a force for improvement in education.
Do read the whole speech!