Eng: 'How one man's passion for phonics is helping the next generation'

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Eng: 'How one man's passion for phonics is helping the next generation'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Believe me I am not being 'political' here by adding a link written by Conservative MP, Nadhim Zahawi, but it is good to see a colleague of Nick Gibb acknowledging the determination of Nick to persist for many years with promoting evidence-informed systematic synthetic phonics provision and to do his best to ensure that this promotion is effective.

I met Nick Gibb many years ago (I guess about fifteen?) when he invited me to tell him about phonics, research findings and findings in specific schools that used systematic synthetic phonics programmes and practices. Nick had somehow been alerted to the UK Reading Reform Foundation's activities. At that time I was the newish editor of the hard copy version of the RRF newsletter.

Nick was adamant that he thought this should be a cross-party issue and not just a Tory party issue. He worked hard to push for a parliamentary inquiry which led to the world-renowned independent national review led by Sir Jim Rose and to the Rose Report (2006).

And Nick Gibb has never ceased to push relentlessly for systematic synthetic phonics provision and he is absolutely right to do so. He is now having an influence in Australia where he has met with Simon Birmingham who has taken up the baton to promote the introduction of a national phonics check. Well done Simon Birmingham!

Whilst many people for decades have devoted their lives to alert others of the need for systematic, explicit phonics provision to teach reading (and spelling) - and the research evidence to support this need, the scenario has still required individuals with influence to push home this need. We are indeed very grateful for Nick Gibb's role in the rise in literacy standards in England and the story/journey is not yet over. There is still much more to be done in England and in other countries and contexts where reading and writing in the English language is taught.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thecol ... ation.html
How one man’s passion for phonics is helping an entire generation

By Nadhim Zahawi MP
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Eng: 'How one man's passion for phonics is helping the next generation'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

This thread is devoted to the work of Nick Gibb 'Champion of Systematic Synthetic Phonics':

http://www.iferi.org/iferi_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53