Kentucky, USA: Why do our schools consistently avoid the most successful teaching approaches –The research problem

Downloads and links to relevant research and articles, along with book recommendations.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Kentucky, USA: Why do our schools consistently avoid the most successful teaching approaches –The research problem

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Here is a post raising the significant issue of poor quality 'research' written by Richard Innes via the Bluegrass Institute site:

http://www.bipps.org/schools-consistent ... h-problem/
Why do our schools consistently avoid the most successful teaching approaches – The research problem

By Richard Innes

When I first started looking at education research back in 1994, I saw all sorts of educators’ claims that they really understood how children learned. It didn’t take long to develop a rather strong, though subjectively based, opinion that there actually seemed to be remarkably little scientifically-based research to support claims about the many education fad ideas that were being paraded out in the early days of KERA in Kentucky.

My concerns began to solidify much more solidly following the release of the report of the National Reading Panel (NRP) in 2000. Data collected during that study showed that incredibly small percentages of research papers on education met even minimal standards for rigor. In crucial reading-related research areas like phonemic awareness, phonics instruction, guided oral reading, vocabulary instruction and teacher preparation/comprehension strategies, fewer than five percent of the papers met minimum standards for rigor. The rest were essentially could not be used to prove anything.

To see the details behind this shocking discovery, click the “Read more” link.