Benjamin Riley (Deans for Impact) reviews Lucy Crehan's 'Cleverlands'

Downloads and links to relevant research and articles, along with book recommendations.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Benjamin Riley (Deans for Impact) reviews Lucy Crehan's 'Cleverlands'

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

Touring the clever countries - review by Benjamin Riley
https://deansforimpact.org/touring-clever-countries/
Confession: I’m jealous of Lucy Crehan. A few years ago, this teacher from the United Kingdom decided to study five of the world’s highest performing education systems – Finland, Japan, Singapore, Shanghai, and Canada – as measured by the international PISA exam. But rather than solely review the data from afar, or conduct interviews over the phone, Crehan decided she could only truly understand these systems by embedding inside them. And so she spent a month in each country, teaching and interviewing practicing educators, parents, students and policymakers.

The product of her efforts is her newly published book, Cleverlands, and it’s the book I wish I’d written. She manages to skillfully weave personal observations, research citations, and understated British humor into a powerful story about the role education systems play in shaping – and reflecting – national culture and achievement.

Here are some of the things I learned about each of the education systems Crehan visited:
Many educationalists are speaking highly of Lucy's book.