Dianne Murphy’s Blog: Thinking Reading

A useful place to find helpful blogs and websites with a wealth of information about reading.
Anne Glennie

Dianne Murphy’s Blog: Thinking Reading

Post by Anne Glennie »

https://thinkingreadingwritings.wordpress.com/

Dianne Murphy offers training in applied research, high-impact adolescent reading intervention, which will be of particular interest to secondary teachers.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Re: Dianne Murphy’s Blog: Thinking Reading

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I highly recommend a visit to Dianne Murphy's blog - especially if you have an older child who is struggling with some aspect of reading and writing (or other difficulties) - or if you are a teacher of older pupils.

I totally agree with what she writes at all times.

This post is:

SEND the right message

https://thinkingreadingwritings.wordpre ... t-message/
Both physically and metaphorically, SEN provision is often relegated to the margins of the school. In the past it has been a somewhat arcane business in many schools, where leaders were reassured by an ethos of sympathy and bamboozled by the bandying of labels. This has begun to change, but there is a strong case for bringing SEN much more into the heart of the school – again, both physically and metaphorically. They key to this is the extent to which we invest in skills.
All teachers should be trained as special needs teachers. I, too, have been saying this for years but have known special needs teachers to be very possessive of their 'role'!

Teaching Assistants should be properly trained and supported, and able to liaise appropriately with the mainstream teacher, and should not 'do the work' for the learners.

Pupils with any form of learning difficulties should be treated to increase their independence - not increase their dependence on their supporting adult.