Mum Explains Why She Isn't Teaching Her Son To Read

This is a dedicated forum to allow parents to post questions, discuss issues and to ask for, and receive advice about, any concerns they may have regarding their children and the reading instruction that they are given at school.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Mum Explains Why She Isn't Teaching Her Son To Read

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I found this rather a strange post. I think this mum is teaching her son wonderful things - but then I feel so sad for her (and her son) that apparently she has made not teaching phonics a big thing.

Then, towards the end of her piece, I read the comment about her "forcing phonics on my 18-month-old so that I could brag".

How bizarre. It seems then, that the mum has gone from one extreme to another - both extremes surely unnecessary and not advisable.

It's just a normal and acceptable thing to do to introduce 3+ year olds to letters and sounds, to play with magnetic letters on the fridge and to notice environmental print (and numbers). And this has been the case for many years for any parent and child. What's the big deal?

I suggest it becomes a big deal when a parent feels the compulsion to avoid phonics and to see phonics as such a negative issue. This is very sad indeed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/m ... 1444c0ed59
Mum Explains Why She Isn’t Teaching Her Son To Read Yet Because He Has More important Things To Do

‘He’s too busy learning other things.’
I have to add, however, that the mum is teaching her son about books and reading which are essential parts of teaching/learning to read. Well done on that score - but please don't be yet another anti-phonics person - so misguided!