Eng: Proposal for re-accreditation of Initial Teacher Training

News articles, interviews, research, events and lots more - ready for your comments.
Debbie_Hepplewhite

Eng: Proposal for re-accreditation of Initial Teacher Training

Post by Debbie_Hepplewhite »

I wonder what this will entail and how it will develop:
All teacher trainers reaccredited in ITT 'step change'

DfE advisory group outlines proposals to radically reshape initial teacher training

By Amy Gibbons
https://www.tes.com/news/all-teacher-tr ... tep-change
All teacher training providers would need to be re-accredited in order to continue recruiting from September 2022, under proposals set out today.

The long-awaited recommendations from the initial teacher training (ITT) market review, published by the Department for Education's advisory working group this afternoon, outline how the sector could be radically reshaped over the course of the next academic year.
What makes this re-accreditation potentially interesting with regard to the field of reading instruction is that not all ITT providers appear to be as fully on board with the government guidance in England for research-informed reading instruction as others. There are ways to be 'subversive' for example which can undermine the main steer of the DfE for 'Systematic Synthetic Phonics' provision with no multi-cueing.

I have certainly witnessed webinars, for example, where academics in teacher training continue to undermine/challenge the advent of the Year One Phonics Screening Check in England - and other influential organisations that cannot bring themselves to refer to the 'synthetic' part of 'systematic phonics' and raise questions about its efficacy.

I blogged about the Education Endowment Foundation (EEF) position here:

https://debbiehepplewhite.com/the-educa ... ent-164438

The Department for Education in England know about questions raised about the work of the EEF and seemingly have deaf ears.